We know berries can be considered a luxury at the grocery store, but admit it, every time you splurge you have no regrets. Well, since it’s berry season we wanted to give you 5 good reasons to enjoy every bite.
- Berries are high in vitamin C, a potent antioxidant. One cup of blackberries or raspberries has half your daily vitamin C needs! And, vitamin C fights off the creepy bacteria lurking everywhere. Vitamin C is also great for keeping your heart healthy and happy.
- Get tiny seeds stuck in your teeth AND lower your risk of certain cancers. Research suggests that people with high intakes of vitamin C from fruits and veggies might have a lower risk of getting many types of cancer, but the same is not true from taking vitamin C in a supplement. So eat those fruits and veggies for some extra protection.
- Keeping it clean. Berries are loaded with fiber, almost 8 grams in one cup (that is almost a third of daily needs for most people). They are especially high in insoluble fiber which works like a broom to sweep out intestines and keep things moving along.
- Reduce your chances of bleeding to death! These tasty little berries are high in vitamin K, important in blood clotting. So the next time you take a tumble from your bike or get a paper cut, fret not! Eat a cup of berries and enjoy the benefits.
- Huge taste, low calories. On average there are about 60 calories in one cup of berries. Proof that good things come in small packages.
1) True or False: A marionberry is a blackberry.
2) True or False: Blackberries contain small amounts of Omega-3 fats.
3) True or False: Boysenberries are a raspberry/blackberry hybrid.
4) Which fruit is considered the ‘Cabernet’ of the blackberries.
b) Chehalem Blackberry