Infographic: 60 Ideas to Beat Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

SAD-Infographic_for-blog

I’ve always struggled with the winter blues. I live in Oregon, and I love it here, but our constant rain and early darkness are a huge drag. The good news is that I’m not alone. Millions of people struggle with Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), and while some cases are really severe (and require some medical attention), many of us can beat the blues by getting active, healthy, and creative.

Since winter affects all of us differently, I wanted to provide some ideas to kick your winter blues right in the chops! While I’m guessing you won’t try all 60 (it would be incredibly impressive if you did), try a few of these out and see if they get you out of your winter rut. Good luck, and happy winter!

header_SAD-Graphic

17 Comments

1. Reblogged this on Liz Who Motivates and commented:
    Be glad in combating S.A.D.

2. Kris

/  November 14, 2014

Thanks so much! I know this is old but I just found this and I struggled quite hard the last few weeks. So now I can give the monster a name! That already feels better actually 🙂

But I’m wondering the reason behind 18: “Avoid caffeine”. How does that affect SAD?

• Kenny

/  November 14, 2014

Hey Kris, I’m really glad this gave you a boost (makes my day)! When I was doing the research for this graphic, multiple sources claimed that stimulants like caffeine force our bodies into “highs” and “lows,” and those fluctuations can have a big impact on your mood. My guess is that (with just about anything) caffeine in moderation won’t do much to impact your mood. But if you’re a big time coffee drinker and the winter has you bummed out, cutting back might be worth a shot.

Keep your head up this winter! All the best!

-Kenny

3. Spot on with this write-up, I actually believe that this website needs a great deal more
    attention. I’ll probably be returning to read more, thanks for the info!

4. Janice Flahiff

/  October 11, 2013
  5. Reblogged this on SERVE M.E. NOW and commented:
    Are there other folks out there suffering from SAD? Other than those suffering from “Eating SAD (Standard American Diet)” I recently found out that we can be suffering from this SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) especially during the Fall and Winter months. Living in the Northeast for the past year, I can definitely say that I have been a bit SAD from time to time. I stumbled upon this awesome graphic to keep me on the up-and-up! Hope it helps y’all as well! 🙂 ENJOY!

• Kenny

/  October 10, 2013

Thanks so much! I hope the sun pops out every once in a while over there (I’m guessing our climates are pretty similar). Certainly appreciate the reblog. Keep your head up this winter!

6. I don’t live in the Northwest, but a transplant from Southern Nevada living in New Jersey/New York metropolitan area can definitely feel the same way! I’m definitely suffering from SAD! This is amazing and needs to be reblogged! YOu are very awesome to share this with the rest of us!

7. Thanks for this cool poster; here in Michigan we still are enjoying more mild sunny or sunny-ish days than gloomy ones. It’s pretty pleasant today in metro Detroit! Have a great week!

• Kenny

/  October 10, 2013

Hey Georgia,
      I have to imagine Detroit is an area where SAD is prevalent. Glad you have such a great perspective on the lingering sunshine over there. Thank you for reblogging the graphic. I hope the folks in your part of the world get a little boost from it this winter. We definitely appreciate your spreading the word.

Keep things sunny!

8. How do you get this as a poster for display?

• Kenny

/  October 8, 2013

Hey Toni,
      We do have some printed versions (they aren’t posters, but they’re perfectly sized to fit on a refrigerator). If you’d like, I’d be happy to mail you a few. Or, depending on your location, you can drop by one of our offices to pick some up. Feel free to send to me an e-mail at MillionIdeas@pacificsource.com and we can figure out the details.

9. Reblogged this on Million Ideas and commented:

In the Northwest, it’s getting cold, dark, and wet. We figured we’d bring back one of our more popular infographics to give you a boost during the changing season. Enjoy!

10. Reblogged this on On the Path to Greatness and commented: