Hiking…A Healthy Goal I Can Keep

We scored a great guest blog post from one of our employees, Kathy. Like most of us, Kathy has gone down the “new year’s resolution = frustration” route. But after taking a new approach, it looks like she found a winner. Here’s her story:

Hiking Boots

The boots that started it all

For Christmas, I got a new pair of hiking boots. I eagerly put them on—a great match with my red and white penguin Christmas pajamas. I tromped around the house, looking forward to the summer months when I could put them to good use.

When Christmas was over, I placed the boots back in their box and shoved them under the bed. And there they sat. And there I sat, until, while watching one of those crazy infomercials for the latest and greatest exercise program, a thought came to me—I didn’t need to wait until good weather to go hiking! I immediately got up, pulled my boots out from under the bed, and slipped them on. I tromped back into the living room and declared to Brian (the love of my life), that next weekend, on our first planned getaway of the year, we were going to stop at Silver Falls to go hiking. Stunned, he reached out and put his hand to my forehead, to see if I was feeling okay.

Silver FallsThe following Saturday morning, we arrived at Silver Falls (if you haven’t been to Oregon, Silver Falls is a state park in riddled with trails and waterfalls). It was a frosty thirty two degrees, but with new boots, a warm wool hat and mittens, my resolve remained unshaken. And my reward was worth it! Six miles and 8 waterfalls later, I felt invigorated—and well yes, a little sore for being woefully out of shape—but great nonetheless. As we were driving away, still high from the endorphins pumping through my system, I said to Brian, “Let’s make it a goal to do one hike a month—it’s a no brainer! it’s something we enjoy, we get to explore new places, and it’s healthy!”

And that’s how my 2014 healthy goal was born—doing something I love, with people I love. How hard is that? Hike one—check!

16 Comments

1. agaio Hack Bot

/  January 15, 2016

It had been later on written by Electronic Arts for his or her on the web gaming site and eventually circulated on iOS Snood has actually since enjoyed an excellent place on the App Store,
    still ranking within the top 100 United States Puzzle games
    many years later.

2. As predicted, youngsters who saw the cartoon with food advertising ate considerably extra
    (forty five%) goldfish crackers whereas watching (M = 28.5 gr.) than did youngsters who noticed non-meals promoting (M = 19.7 gr.), t(116) = three.19, p =.01, d =.60.
    Specifically, we hypothesize that exposure to food advertising with that promotes snacking, fun and pleasure will prime
    larger consumption of snack foods than advertising that conveys vitamin benefits.

3. An outstanding share! I’ve just forwarded this onto
    a friend who had been doing a little homework on this.

And he in fact ordered me dinner because I found it for him…
    lol. So let me reword this…. Thank YOU for the meal!! But yeah, thanx
    for spending some time to talk about this subject here on your web page.

4. First of all I want to say wonderful blog! I had a quick
    question that I’d like to ask if you don’t mind.
    I was interested to know how you center yourself and clear your
    mind prior to writing. I have had trouble clearing
    my thoughts in getting my thoughts out. I truly do enjoy writing but it just
    seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes are lost just trying to figure out how to begin. Any ideas or hints?
    Kudos!

5. Much of Nike’s achievement with basketball shoes can be attributed
    to the popularity of Michael Jordan. A short and thinned
    out toe box on the front helps make accelerating and
    jumping significantly easier as your toes will have additional regulate more
    than motion. It is intended maintaining the skeleton of an animal in mind.

6. Appreciating the time and energy you put into your blog and in depth information you provide.
    It’s great to come across a blog every once in a while
    that isn’t the same unwanted rehashed information. Fantastic read!
    I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m adding your
    RSS feeds to my Google account.

7. Hi just read through this article and want to say it was perfectly written.
    You now have a new fan :).

8. Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thank you so much, However I am going through problems with your RSS.
    I don’t understand why I can’t join it. Is there anyone else
    having similar RSS problems? Anyone that knows the solution can you
    kindly respond? Thanks!!

9. You could definitely see your enthusiasm in the work you write.

The arena hopes for even more passionate writers such as
    you who aren’t afraid to say how they believe. Always go after
    your heart.

10. I love hiking! It’s such a great way to connect with nature and see the world in a different light. It’s always best to remember to invest in a great pair of hiking boots or shoes. That way the experience and trip is fully enjoyed! By the looks of it, you are off to a great start! Thanks for sharing!

11. Kelly

/  January 27, 2014

This is great! On a similar note, I’ve been waiting for good weather to bike to work. You’ve inspired me to bundle up and go for it! Thanks!

1. A Hike That Rocked More Than Just My Muscles | Million Ideas