10 Lesser-Known Tips for Dental Health

Teeth - 10 lesser know tips illustration green-01Properly caring for your teeth not only keeps your smile looking its best; it can help you avoid a variety of dental and other health problems. You probably know the basics—visit your dentist at least twice a year, and brush and floss your teeth at least twice a day—but what else can you do?

Here are some lesser-known tips for taking great care of your oral health.

1. Be thorough – set a timer and brush your teeth for a full two minutes. Less than that, and you may be leaving behind bacteria.
  2. When brushing, include your gums along with your teeth. This will help stimulate blood flow and improve your gum health.
  3. When flossing, wrap the floss around the tooth in a C shape before moving it up and down; this will cover more of the tooth surface. And don’t forget to floss along the back of the teeth in the very back of your mouth.
  4. Try a plastic floss holder, sold next to toothbrushes in most grocery and drug stores. These two-pronged plastic tools allow you to clean between teeth with one hand.
  5. Chew sugar-free gumstudies show that this stimulates the production of saliva, which can help reduce cavities. It can also trap bacteria and neutralize plaque acids.
  6. Use a mouth rinse to help reduce plaque.
  7. Avoid soft drinks, fruit juices, and sugary foods.
  8. This time of year, we know it can be difficult to pass up all sweets. If you do enjoy a dessert – especially a sticky treat like pecan pie – be sure to drink plenty of water along with it to help wash away any food particles on your teeth.
  9. Some medications can affect oral health. Talk with your doctor if your oral health has suddenly changed after starting a new medication.
  10. Last, but not least, avoid smoking tobacco or using smokeless tobacco products – these unhealthy habits can lead to gum disease and oral cancer, not to mention bad breath!

15 Comments

1. I am 26 years old.I was shocking for my health, fitness. That’s I asked my friends and they suggested me for searching you site.
    So,I visit and get a lot of information that helps me to buy my desire product.
    Best Fitness Tracker
    I am happy wit this smart fitness tracker and pleased about this activities & features, especially calories burn, distance measurement.
    Finally, I want to say it is very good, useful product and it is the best fitness tracker. Thanks a lot.

2. Great Post!
    Thank you so much for sharing this informative post. Nice work buddy. I agree with your point about properly caring for teeth. It is ironical that people nowadays are becoming less concerned with their fitness, diet and overall hygiene in this age of rapid globalization. The overall health of a person is greatly affected by his/her dental health. It is imperative to maintain proper dental health to steer away from dental problems such as cavities, bad breath etc.Thank you once again for sharing this article keep sharing.

3. Great tips! Thanks for sharing. I agree about avoiding Tabasco or smoking. I’ve met someone before who always smoke and their breath smells bad.

4. I never thought about brushing my gums when I brush my teeth. I will start doing that! I try to take good care of my teeth and I started flossing a year ago and it has helped so much! My mouth feels cleaner and healthier and every time I go to the dentist they are so proud of me!

5. I visit day-to-day some sites and blogs to read posts, except this web site gives feature
    based writing. Well done!

6. This is an awesome fitness band.
    I am using this kind of band, it looks like a watch and work also like a watch that
    I need not to take an extra watch in my wrist. I like to wear this all the time,
    cause now a days it has become a part of my daily life that make me active about my daily exercises.
    I love this band for its activities reminder that helps me to do my daily work in specific time.
    And I think everyone one should use this kind of tracker for their own advantage that can makes
    one conscious about their health and Fitness Tracker news which is necessary for everyone.

7. I’m glad that you mentioned how some medications can affect oral health. I started taking a new medication for depression last month, and I’ve noticed that my mouth has been feeling more dry. I’ve heard about how dry mouth can lead to tooth decay, so I should find out if my medication is causing this change in my oral health so that I can learn what I can do to change that.

8. Plastic floss holders can be much more convenient to use than regular floss. Since it is easier, it can encourage you to floss more. And since flossing is super important, it is good to make sure you are doing it often!

9. It is interesting to know that sugar free gum is actually good for your teeth. I had always thought that it was simply less damaging than sugar gum. This is something that I can easily incorporate in my day, so thank you for such an applicable tip! Do you also happen to have any tips for finding the best local dentist? Thank you!

10. Nice tips. I just wanted to add a few. Avoid chewing ice, it is one of the biggest causes of cracked and chipped teeth. Avoid using your teeth as a tool when opening a bottle of beer! If you’re one of those people, stop doing that. You could traumatize your teeth or cause the edge of a weakened tooth to chip off or even fracture. Using your teeth as a tool is a bad dental habit that threatens your future dental health and can damage existing dental work.

Jhoell

11. I had no idea that you should wrap the floss around your tooth when you floss. I have always been really bad at remembering to floss, but I will tell my son to floss. I will have to start remembering to floss, and try wrapping it around my tooth.

12. I didn’t know that brushing your gums would help stimulate blood flow and improve gum health. I think it’s kind of easy to forget about the gums and focus on the teeth. Visits to the dentist would be quicker and easier if you’d remember these things.

13. I did not know that forming the floss in a c shape around the tooth helped cover more area. I’ve noticed the dental assistants do that when they clean my teeth so it would make sense to do what they do. Would getting manual floss be better for this than using a flosser?

14. I know that it is important to brush and floss your teeth on a regular basis. However, I really struggle with the flossing part, because it is such a hassle. However, I have never tried the C shape method and I feel like that might actually help make the process easier for me. But is the C shape going through what slit in the teeth or around the whole tooth?

15. Thank you for the help. I am visiting the dentist next week and I am afraid that he will be disappointed with my habits. I know that flossing is important, but it can be so hard at times. How can you effectively reach the teeth in the back?